Afro-Euro Runway In Celebration of
2023 Europe Day in Nigeria
2023 Europe Day Theme: Europe year of skills
Call for Designers to Participate in Afro-Euro Runway
The Delegation of the European Union to Nigeria and ECOWAS and its Member States in collaboration with The Fashion Academy are organising a Fashion Design competition, tagged “Afro-Euro Runway”. The Competition is in line with the theme of the 2023 Europe Day Celebration, ‘European Year of Skills‘.
As part of the event, we are inviting designers from across Nigeria to showcase their collections and to promote their brand. The Competition will provide an excellent platform for designers to network with the European Union, its Member States, industry professionals, and to connect with fashion enthusiasts.
Theme: Afro-Euro Runway
We encourage designers to create collections that are inspired by the theme. The theme is open to interpretation and can be inspired by a particular era, culture, or style. We believe that this theme will allow designers to showcase their creativity and to design collections that are unique and memorable.
We will select finalists based on the following criteria:
- The quality and uniqueness of their collections.
- The relevance of their collections to the theme.
- The professionalism of the designer
To apply to participate in the competition, please submit the following:
- A brief description of your brand and design philosophy in not more than one page.
- A sketch, video or photos of a collection of at least three outfits prepared for the competition
- A portfolio of your recent collections (pictures/videos) with a description of design aesthetic.
- Signed copyright assignment agreement to confirm that you own the designs and have the right to use them in the competition
Nigerian Fashion Designers
- who are between the ages of 18 and 40 years.
Please apply online. We will review all applications and notify successful applicants by June, 1 2023.
- Assessment of portfolio of previous work done (pictures/videos), a bio/profile and description of design aesthetic.
- Originality in entered designs that reflect on the theme, “Afro-Euro Runway”.
- Creativity, design and quality of work (including finishing).
- Inclusiveness in the design and display.
- Attention to details in accessorizing.
- Ability to interpret inclusivity.
Eight finalists will be selected to participate in the Fashion Runway Show/Awards Ceremony in Abuja on June 16, 2023, with all expenses covered for non-Abuja residents.
- 1st Prize: participation in the Madrid Mercedes Benz Fashion Week: access to some fashion shows by famous designers and to the Cibelespacio, the networking area. Next edition is 13 to 17th of September, 2023. Read more
- 2nd Prize: participation in a Nigerian Fashion week.
- 3rd Prize: fashion design equipment.
- All contestants will have the opportunity to attend a business management training.
We will provide the following for finalists:
- A space to exhibit and sell their collection.
- Lighting and sound equipment.
- Backstage facilities.
- Professional photography and videography.
Deadline for submission of application is May 30, 2023